Thursday 11 November 2010

'Wash One Another's Feet'

As I mentioned I am thinking about photographing people washing other people's feet. For me this act is all about humility and  care. First you generally  have to lower yourself physically below the other person, then you have to touch part of the body which can be smelly and dirty. You have to be careful with feet, some people are ticklish! Also its important to dry between the toes properly which requires attention to detail. Personally I have washed  a lot of elderly people's feet whilst being a care assistant. It was not one of my favourite tasks and it reminded me how when we get old our toes curl, bunions form and skin flakes. However I tried to approach it tenderly. I have been doing a bit more research and found lots of biblical references and also after speaking to people found it is quite common in some churches for the priest/vicar to wash the feet of members of his/her congregation! 

In John 13:14-15 after washing the disciples feet Jesus says "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." John says one of the reasons he did this was to show them the full extent of his love.

Luke writes of a woman of supposed ill repute who washes Jesus's feet with her tears, drys them with her hair and pours perfume on them which again is spoken of as an act of love. Whilst the owner of the house, Pharisee, is shocked that Jesus lets her wash his feet, Jesus himself is very touched by her actions and reminds the Pharisee that he hadn't given him any water for his feet when he arrived. 7:36-50

I feel that feet washing is a powerful symbol of how we should treat one another with love and a reminder that the Bible states that everyone is the same in Gods eyes.

I originally visualised the image (s) as very light and have bought a large white bowl for the photo. Now I think I will try it both with lots of light and also a much darker version with careful sidelighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment